Characterizing and Analyzing Sonor System in South Sumatra Tidal Wetlands

Elisa Wildayana, M. Edi Armanto, M.S. Imanudin, Heri Junedi

Abstract


The research aimed to (1) describe changing biomass during the burning process, (2) characterize the nutrient loss due to biomass burning, (3) analyse the financial loss of nutrient transfer, and (4) compare farmer’s income among three land typologies. This research was conducted in tidal wetlands Talang Sepucuk, OKI District, South Sumatra with a slope of 0-3 %. Three selected land typologies (B, C and D) are located in the area adjacent to one another with distance < 1.200 m. The natural vegetation data and paddy yields was recorded by squares method, i.e. 25 x 25 m at each study site, dried and weighed and analyzed in the laboratory. The research resulted that the nutrient transfer due to biomass burning was in range of Rp 49.98-51.62 Mills/ha/year. The farmer’s income of the sonor system was very small (Rp 3.61-3.97 Mills/ha/year), it was only about 7 % of the total financial loss of nutrient transfer). The remaining value (93 %) is beyond the capacity of farmers to harvest natural resources. This value (93 %) is classified as one of the biggest negative impact of the sonor system to be paid by the all people. The government must intervene to make the public policy by giving direct subsidy to farmers NOT to burn biomass in the sonor system with compensation of at least 2 (two) times of farmer’s income from the sonor system (around Rp 7.66 Mill. Rp/ha/year). If farmers still continue to apply the sonor system by using fire, then there is very little opportunity for us to manage the nutrients loss due to biomass burning. The preventive and proactive approach is the best way how to manage the land resources.

Keywords


Characterizing, analyzing, sonor system, tidal wetlands

Full Text:

PDF

References


Armanto, M.E. 2014. Spatial Mapping for Managing Oxidized Pyrite (FeS2) in South Sumatra Wetlands, Indonesia. Journal of Wetlands Environmental Managements. Vol 2(2); 6-12. Indexed in DOAJ. Web-link: http://ijwem.unlam.ac.id/index.php/ijwem ISSN: 2354-5844.

Armanto, M.E. dan Elisa Wildayana. 1998. Analisis Permasalahan Kebakaran Hutan dan Lahan dalam Pembangunan Pertanian dalam Arti Luas. Jurnal Lingkungan dan Pembangunan, Vol.18(4):304-318. ISSN. 0216-2717.

Armanto, M.E., M.A. Adzemi, Elisa Wildayana and M.S. Imanudin. 2013. Land Evaluation for Paddy Cultivation in the Reclaimed Tidal Lowland in Delta Saleh, South Sumatra, Indonesia. Journal of Sustainability Science and Management (JSSM). Vol 8(1):32-42. June 2013. ISSN 1823-8556. (SCOPUS, Google Scholar and DOAJ indexes). Web-link: http://jssm.umt.edu.my/files/2013/07/4w.pdf

Hoelscher, D. 1997. Shifting Cultivation in Eastern Amazonia: A Case Study on the Water and Nutrient Balance. Plant Research and Development. Vol. 46:68-87.

Imanudin, M.S. and M.E. Armanto. 2012. Effect of Water Management Improvement on Soil Nutrient Content, Iron and Aluminium Solubility at Tidal Lowland Area. APCBEE Procardia 4 (2012): 253-258. (SCOPUS, Google Scholar and DOAJ indexes). Web-link: www.sciencedirect.com/science/.../S2212670812002138

Raison, R.J., P.K. Khanna and P.V. Woods. 1985. Mechanisms of Element Transfer to the Atmosphere during Vegetation Fires. Canadian Journal of Forest Research, 15: 132-140.

Wildayana, Elisa dan M. Edi Armanto. 2009. Dampak Finansial Kehilangan Hara ke Atmosfir akibat Kebakaran Hutan dan Lahan. Jurnal Ilmiah HABITAT, Vol XX(2): 81-88, Agustus 2009, ISSN. 0853-5167.

Wildayana, Elisa. 2014. Formulating Oil Palm Investment Decision in Tidal Wetlands of South Sumatra, Indonesia. Indonesian Journal of Wetlands Environmental Managements (IJWEM). Vol 2(2): 30-36, October 2014, ISSN: 2354-5844 (indexed in DOAJ). Web-link: http://ijwem.unlam.ac.id/index.php/ijwem




DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.20527/jwem.v5i2.109

Refbacks

  • There are currently no refbacks.




Creative Commons License Hasil gambar untuk crossref
Journal of Wetlands Environmental Management is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License. ISSN: 2354-5844 (print version) and 2477-5223 (electronic version). joomla site stats View My Stats